Lorne Park Water Treatment Plant Expansion
- Client: Region of Peel
- Location: Mississauga – Civil/Environmental, ON
- Contract Type: Stipulated Price
- Sector: Water
Maple Reinders was contracted to employ modern, state-of-the-art membrane technology to increase the plant's capacity to 500 ML/d, making it the largest membrane filtration system in the world. Additionally, the plant is equipped with an ultraviolet light disinfection system to ensure inactivation of pathogens and advanced oxidation to help control taste and odour that appear seasonally. This advanced treatment system ensures extremely high quality water that exceeds Ontario Drinking Water Quality Standards, as well as providing residents with a secure source of water.
Special efforts were taken to minimize the impacts to the adjacent Jack Darling Park. To begin with, the design incorporated existing operations and was confined to a small footprint in order to maximize current infrastructure. The choice of membrane and ultraviolet light disinfection technology were also key factors in attaining these two goals. Utilizing advanced construction techniques and the skills of qualified sub-contractors helped Maple Reinders maintain the compressed construction schedule and mitigate the impacts on the neighbourhood.
The WTP project included:
- construction of the membrane building expansion to house the GEWPT ultrafiltration membrane system related pumps and associated piping and equipment, complete with excavation, shoring & dewatering for the expansion.
- modifications to existing eight sedimentation tanks to house pre-purchased membrane filtration system;
- construction of building additions to house ZeeWeed® ZW-1000 V3 ultrafiltration membrane system, related pumps and associated piping and equipment, electrical equipment and chemical feed systems;
- modifications to existing hydraulic flocculation tanks;
- upgrades to existing GAC/sand filters;
- upgrades to chemical systems;
- installation of 16 trains of pre-purchased ultrafiltration membrane system, eight reactors of pre-purchased UV system for disinfection and advanced oxidation system;
- installation of four reactors of pre-purchased UV system for disinfection;
- upgrades to the residue management system;
- miscellaneous electrical and SCADA upgrades throughout the plan;
• associated site works.
- planted more than 600 trees and over 4,000 shrubs to fully restore the site back to a public park.